Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Sage Advice?

One of the accounting news services that I subsribe to had this quote at the bottom of the email and I thought would share it.

"I have found the best way to give advice to your children is to find out what they want and then advise them to do it."

--Harry S. Truman,33rd U.S. president

More to come... just need to actually do some work!

Lunch time.

Well, I can just imagine what would have happened if I had followed our 33rd president's advice with Cailyn all the time while she was growing up! I tried to find the context from where this quote was taken, but was unable to find anything. I imagine that his point might have been once your kids get older it is wise to listen, let them make their own mistakes and be there to help them pick up the pieces.

What do you think?

Here are a few more curtesy of Brainyquote:

"I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell."

"If you cannot convince them, confuse them."

and of course:

"The buck stops here!"

2 comments:

Mrs. B said...

Hmmm...I wonder if he was being "funny", as in, "Hey, we all know we can't really give our kids (especially teenagers) advice, so, don't even bother, just tell them what they want to hear!"

And then tell them what they have to do, regardless!

I love the quotes! I wish I could come up with some "famous" quote!

TA

Analee said...

maybe if you encourage a child to do what she wants (even if it is not what you'd want her to do... within reason of coarse), that will provide her with a space of trust and honesty in which she can make her own mistakes yet still feel like she can talk to you.

that is an interesting quote, though, it reminds me of one of my friends who is always asking people for advice. pretty much, she keeps on asking advice from people until someone says what she wants to hear. then she does what she wanted to do in the first place.